Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Officiant

Life continues for my fiance and me with a fair share of harmony, where any rough spots the the pre-nuptual relationship kind of fade into the woodwork after a good night's sleep. The marital mystery at this point is, who will be the wedding officiant? The church where we will be married is choosing a new minister through a very fair and thorough hiring process, the outcome of which I am following closely. Whoever they hire will be the minister who will marry us in December. I have re-joined the church, cast my vote, and have my fingers crossed my favorite candidate will be hired as the new minister. Meeting with the minister is the last major loose end in all the wedding planning process. I have chosen a couple of readings that might work for the ceremony, and tore some sample vows out of a wedding magazine. I am ready for us to meet with the minister and plan a ceremony. Mostly I am ready to go on the honeymoon, which is a fancy word for the vacation you need after all the hoopla of planning a wedding and carrying it out. Dealing with family, learning to live together, it's all sort of hard sometimes, but has lots of rewards also. Like watching the sun rise over the ocean from the home we share. Like being able to wake up every morning and know there's someone to help if the car won't start. Little things and big things that are great about having a partner in life, for life. So we continue on day to day hoping for the best, accepting what happens and enjoying the process. Still, can't wait for that honeymoon, more on that next time.

No comments: