Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sasha the Dog

My fiance has had one other love besides me, as long as I've known him, his elderly dog Sasha.  At 17 Sasha's age equaled over 100 human years.  She made her transition to doggie heaven yesterday, bless her heart and soul.  We are sad today, but know that everything is as it should be.

Sasha was more cute and precious every day for the 1 1/2 years that I knew her.  She accompanied my fiance and me on our first date, a dog walk at Shoreline Park.  One thing that drew my fiance to me, he says, is how  kind I was to Sasha.

She was an arthritic Golden Retriever with curly hair, easy to be kind to.  Our joke is that my fiance is taken with curly haired red-heads, as I have curly red hair also...we have save some locks of Sasha's curly hair, trimmed from her before she was put to sleep at our home by a compassionate vet yesterday.

Today dawns bright and clear and we have a space in our house where Sasha used to roam.  Our hearts are full of memories of our beautiful old girl however, and I cannot help but notice how the cats are already wandering upstairs, looking for Sasha, smelling her collar which remains behind her as a momento.  The cats now have free run of the entire house, though our good old Sasha was no threat to them ever, being very kind and also blind, she was always more interested in their cat food than anything else.

We'll miss you Sasha and you will run free and live in our hearts forever.

No comments: